Casa Physicians Alliance News
The Meningitis B Vaccine-Trumenba
THE MENINGITIS VACCINE (MCV4) THAT YOUR CHILD MAY HAVE RECEIVED DOES NOT COVER MENINGITIS B (1)
Here’s what you need to know about this disease
- There are 5 primary types of the bacteria that cause meningococcal disease, also known as meningitis, in the US- A, C, Y, W, and B (2)
- Since 2006, there have been vaccines (MCV4) that cover meningitis A, C, Y, and W, which your child may have recieved (1)
- Since 2014, vaccines for meningitis B, including TRUMENBA, have been approved (2)
- 40% of meningococcal disease cases among adolescents and young adults in the US are caused by meningitis B (3*)
- On average, 1 in 10 adolescents and young adults who develop meningitis B will die from it (3)
- Typical adolescent and young adult sharing behavior can spread the disease (4)
- It’s a bacterial infection that can cause inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord (5)
- Trumenba is a vaccine indicated for individuals 10 through 25 years of age for active immunization to prevent invasive disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis group B
- Trumenba is approved based upon demonstrated immune response against four group B strains representative of prevalent strains in the US. The effectiveness of Trumenba against divers group B strains has not been confirmed
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Trumenba should not be given to anyone with a history of a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of Trumenba
- Individuals with weakened immune systems may have a reduced immune response
- The most common adverse reactions were pain at the injection site, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, and chills
- Data are not available on the safety and effectiveness of using Trumenba and other meningococcal group B vaccines interchangeably to complete the vaccination series
- Tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, or plan to become pregnant
- Ask your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of Trumenba. Only a healthcare provider can decide if Trumenba is right for you or your child
* Approximately 50-60 cases annually among 11 through 23 years during 2010-2012 . (2)
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of vaccines to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Visit www.vaers.hhs.gov or call 1-800-822-7967.
Call 1-844-TRUMENBA (878-6362), 9 AM to 7 PM ET, Monday through Friday, for more information.
Visit TRUMENBA.com to learn more.
References: 1. Folaranmi T, Rubin L, Martin SW, et al. Use of serogroup B meningococcal vaccines in persons aged ≥10 years at increased risk of serogroup B meningococcal disease: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2015. MMWR. 2015;64(22):608-612. 2. MacNeil JR, Rubin L, Folaranmi T, et al. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Use of serogroup B meningococcal vaccines in adolescents and young adults: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2015. MMWR. 2015;64(41):1171-1177. 3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Epidemiology of serogroup B meningococcal disease, United States. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, October 30, 2014, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2014-10/mening-02-MacNeil.pdf. 4. Soeters HM, MCNamara LA, Whaley M, et al. Serogroup B meningococcal disease outbreak and carriage evaluation at a college=Rhode Island, 2015. MMWR. 2015;64(22):606-607. 5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meningococcal disease: signs and symptoms: meningococcal meningitis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/about/symptoms.html. Updated April 1, 2014. Accessed November 14, 2015.
Please see full Prescribing Information available from your healthcare provider.
Posted by Shari Smith on 5th February, 2018 | Comments | Trackbacks
Tags: Trumenba MenB Vaccine, Trumenba Recommendation, ACIP MenB Recommendations, Discount Vaccine Program, Savings on Adolescent Vaccines, Trumenba Promotion, Trumenba Serogroup B vaccine, CASA Physicians Alliance, CASA Physicians Alliance - Trumenba Discount, Savings on Trumenba, Physicians Buying Group offering Discount on Trumenba Vaccine, Serogroup B Meningococcal MenB vaccine Trumenba, Trumenba Discounts, Discount Vaccine Buying Program, Vaccination Recommendation Trumenba, Trumenba Info, Vaccine Savings, Vaccine Group, Trumenba Two Dose Prescribing Information
The trackback URL for this page is http://www.casaalliance.net/trackback?post=33294009
There are no trackbacks for this post
There are no comments for this post
Post a Comment
HTML is not allowed in comments, http://... will be automatically linked.